Hero Face Cover, Luxury Cotton Fabric Mask with High Thread Count
The Hero Face Cover is an adaptation of a design recently produced in partnership with a leading NHS surgeon to be given to visitors and out-patients at hospital. It’s a one-size fits all, three-pleated mask with two layers of 100% superior cotton fabric and an integrated nose bridge to ensure a better fit.
High Thread Count
While medical grade face masks are reserved for health care workers, it is believed that quality fabrics such as a high thread count cotton are the best solution for face-coverings made for the general public.
Superfine Cotton Fabric
The Hero Face Cover version is made from luxury shirting fabric. The superfine, extra-long-staple cotton yarns, tightly woven into beautifully soft and durable fabrics, can effectively filter aerosol particles while being comfortable and breathable.
For the trim and straps, jersey fabric has been used, which has a natural strength and stretch to help the covering stay in place and withstand lots of wear and tear.
Why Wearing Masks are Effective Against Covid-19 and New Coronavirus Varients
The Hero Face Cover is entirely British-made. Spun at a revamped Victorian cotton mill in Dukinfield, the cotton yarns are dyed in Blackburn, woven in Burnley or Devon, or knitted in Leicestershire. The Hero Face Covers are manufactured by a small team of machinists at Tower Mill in Cheshire.
Style and Fit
- One-size fits all, three pleated, double layered woven cotton fabric face-covering with white cotton-jersey ties.
- An integrated nose bridge to ensure a closer fit to the face
- Available in pink, white or blue in two different shirting fabrics, Cavalry Twill, or Herringbone
- Comfortable jersey straps tie around the back of the head, making the Hero Face Cover ideal for those with hearing aids or spectacles, or anyone who can’t wear a cover that fixes around the ears
How to Wear and Care for Your Hero Face Cover
During these uncertain times, your re-usable face cover is likely to become something you take with you everywhere. The covering has been designed to be as effective as possible while still being luxurious, comfortable, breathable and more importantly long-lasting. But, there are still some important things to bear in mind…
- Place the mask over your nose and mouth. Make sure the nose bar is at the top and bring the lowest part of the mask underneath your chin.
- Tie the straps, placing the top straps over the highest point of your head.
- Finally, curve the nose bar over the bridge of your nose, so that the mask fits comfortably sealing the nose and mouth within the face piece.
Because the face-cover is at risk of being contaminated, it’s recommended you decontaminate it after every wear.
- Wash the mask at or above 60c using a domestic washing cycle
- Use a proprietary standard detergent
- Tumble dry if possible and iron when dry
- Do not dry clean your face cover and never use bleach to clean it
Best Practice for Using Your Face Cover
- Wash and iron your face cover before you use it for the first time – and of course for every time thereafter.
- Clean your hands with soap and water or alcohol based sanitiser after you put it on.
- When removing your face cover, take it off from the back by unfastening the ties and avoid touching the fabric face cover itself.
- Wash your hands or apply alcohol based hand sanitiser immediately after removing the mask.
This is a non-medical face mask that isn’t intended as a surgical mask or as a specialised PPE mask, that are intended for use by health professionals. Face-coverings like this one, which are designed for use by members of the general public, are intended to support and enhance the Government’s social distancing advice and are not a substitute for it.
While 100% cotton masks, when made from a high quality, high thread count fabric, are believed to effectively filter out some aerosol particles, it is generally accepted they only help reduce the risk of ongoing transmission and shouldn’t be worn to protect the wearer. In effect, your mask helps reduce the risk to others and in turn, theirs reduces the risk for you.
Part of our Range of Eco-Conscious PPE
We have selected the Hero Face Covers as part of our range of Eco-Conscious Personal Protective Equipment. Simon and Andrea, the husband and wife team behind Simon Lucas Bridge Supplies, care passionately about the living world. When the pandemic struck, it quickly became clear that the huge amount of PPE that people were going to need to use to protect themselves was going to be potentially catastrophic for the living world. We don’t think that it’s okay to add to the plastics crisis with plastic-based and single use PPE. We believe that it’s possible to both protect ourselves and the living world by using PPE that has been carefully and thoughtfully produced to minimise its impact on the environment, and that will harmlessly compost into helpful nutrients at the end of its lifespan.
The Hero Face Covers are made from 100% cotton, a natural fibre that can be reused, then recycled or composted when your Hero face cover reaches the end of its useful life. The manufacturer buys cotton directly from the growers with 100% traceability, and they’ve travelled the world to inspect the farms they’re buying from. Driven by their concern for the environment, the raw material is bought from cotton producers who are committed to growing cotton responsibly, through sustainable working practises (not using resources that can’t be replaced) and reducing their environmental footprint.
It would naive and dishonest of us to promote cotton as the most environmentally friendly yarn, because a vast amount of water is needed to grow the crop. However, we’re reassured that the growers are committed to sustainable working practises, which includes not using water from a non-renewable source. For the sake of the living world, we urge you please to look after the face cover and use it many, many times to offset the resources used to grow the cotton. Being well made from a luxury fabric gives the Hero Face Covers the longest potential life span, so there’s no reason for them not to be used again and again until they finally wear out.
Being entirely British made, the carbon footprint for the transport of the Hero Face Covers is as low as possible.